Voice Science™ delivers social skills therapy for adults in Melbourne and online.
Our social communication sessions are designed for adults who want to improve their people skills.
This consultation is the perfect fit for clients who have concerns about some or all of the following:
- Creating small talk and conversation
- Building relationships, forming friendships and interpersonal relationships
- Uncertainty about how to behave socially and/or anxiety about how to interact with people
- Difficulties expressing or sharing your feelings or mood with the right words
- Confusion with why people think you are being inappropriate
- Uncertainty about why people misunderstand your comments and become offended or upset when you speak
- The feeling that making conversation is a total mystery or impossible
- Severe difficulties entering a group setting
- Pronounced social anxiety and lack of strategies to change your situation
- Difficulties with new environments and self regulation
- Feedback that you are too “intense” “aggressive” “inflexible” when speaking
- Concern that people might find you creepy or weird when you don’t intend to be
- Difficulties comprehending social emotional details
- Problems turn-taking when having conversations
- Dominating the conversation with your opinions or not leaving space for the opinion of others
- Poor non-verbal communication skills
- Insufficient or unusual eye contact when speaking
- Poor understanding of gestures
- Lack of facial expression or understanding of the facial expression of other people
- Understanding the difference between fact and opinion and formal and informal manner when communicating
Social communication assessment is conducted when a client may potentially be experiencing a social communication disorder like Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) but not all clients who seek this assessment will necessarily have a diagnosis of Autism.
This session is the chance for you to share your global communication concerns with the speech pathologist who will prepare a comprehensive consultation report designed to identify core strategies to be addressed with you in ensuing social communication therapy sessions.
Sessions that follow this initial consult may include strategies for:
- verbal and non verbal strategies
- how to comprehend better what your communication partner might be feeling or wanting
- tools to help you initiate spontaneous communication
- techniques to keep the conversation going
- techniques to help you enter large or small groups successfully
- communication strategies to help you communicate interpersonally in all environments, especially those where you find it challenging
- tools to start making phone calls or answer the phone if you avoid it
- ideas to help you make your voice more expressive to reflect your feelings and emotions more clearly
- tips to understand jokes or non literal expressions if you misinterpret these things
- ideas to build up your hobbies and interests to better position you in spaces so you can apply your new communication strategies
Delivery: Voice Science™ Melbourne, Canberra and Online
45 minute session. Includes a consultation report.
Rebates may be available for these sessions.
We welcome referrals from allied health service providers and general practitioners for speech pathology treatment adults with autism or social communication concern. Click here to read more about referrals.
This assessment session is also suitable for clients who are self-managed under NDIS.